Transitioning out of "stuck"...even though you didn't know you were stuck to begin with.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Last week I moved out of my Manhattan Beach apartment, where I've resided for almost 7 years, and moved in with my boyfriend of 1 year.  My first post on this blog was about how I quit my job and how I'm going to spend my time navigating through the transition engaging in all sorts of new experiences and activities that will bring forward the grandest expression of my authentic self.  In comparison to the move I just did, this task seems like a cake walk.  At some point, while going through boxes and boxes of old things that had been sitting and collecting mildew in my garage for 7 years, I realized that I've had somewhat of a hoarder mentality.  My running joke was that I should be on the TV show Hoarders that does exposes on extreme hoarding.  I'm not that bad but I'm like a baby hoarder...a full-grown hoarder in the making.  The thing I clearly like to hoard the most is clothes.  I had clothes from college.  I had multiple outfits for every sport.  I had outfits for the beach, for the mountains, for islands, for European cities (not sure what that means) but anyhow, the point is that I kept everything. I had clothes that are 2 sizes too small for me because somewhere in my brain, I believed that I would actually fit into them again.  Or, maybe it's that I want to keep them because I want to be reminded that I was 2 sizes smaller.  Whatever the case, I was shocked and a little dismayed that I had stuffed every space of my apartment and garage with stuff.  As I reflected on what would encourage me to hold on to everything, I realized that I was holding on to everything.  Something about keeping old stuff tied me to the unresolved parts of my life that my subconscious hadn't let go of.  Releasing all of the physical stuff showed me how much energy I can free up in my subconscious when I surrender the old stories into the past.  In the end, I released about 30% of all my belongings to friends and goodwill and I've committed to purging old, unused items every 6 months.  Now I can live fully present to the glory of what my life looks like today, focusing on how much love, compassion and kindness I can generate in each of my present moments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment